This week’s issue of Entertainment Weekly is positively brimming with essential Rogue One information. The film, taking place before the events of Star Wars Episode IV and detailing the life-threatening acquisition of highly valued Death Star schematics, focuses on Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones) and her team tasked with said, life-threatening acquisition. Yes, Rogue One is a story of Star Wars‘ hallowed past, and as a cinematic vessel portraying the franchise’s vaunted history, it’s bound to reintroduce historical, highly vaunted characters. Case in point: Darth Vader’s appearance was oft-rumored but never confirmed; it would make sense that, as a great facilitator of the Death Star’s construction, he would be VERY involved with protecting – and securing – the Death Star schematics. Well, it seems this intelligently conceived bit of speculation is now fact: Darth Vader’s appearance in Rogue One is now confirmed.
And that’s not the only news contained in this week’s issue of EW (I did say “positively brimming,” after all). Here’s a sampling of the Rogue One download coming to a supermarket magazine rack near you:
1. More background on Jyn Erso, a Rebel who clashed with both the Empire AND the Rebellion.
2. More background on her father, played by actor Mads Mikkelsen; a scientist harboring an intelligence sought by both sides.
3. Full details on the Rogue One team tasked with securing these highly sought after Death Star Plans.
4. Discussions with the filmmakers on those pesky, worrisome reshoots and what they’re adding to the film.
5. And that’s all I’m going to reveal. I’m sure we’ll be reporting on it soon.
Star Wars: Rogue One hits the Death Star on December 16th, 2016 and stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Riz Ahmed, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen, Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk and Jonathan Aris.