Five Things We Want in the Next Superman Movie!
Last week the news broke that the sequel to the much maligned Man of Steel is pretty much a sure thing. This movie offers DC and Warner Brothers an opportunity to course correct on their presentation of Superman.
So, now that Superman is (temporarily) dead, how does DC fix the damage?
As it turns out we’ve got some ideas.
1. Primary Colors – Look, I’m not suggesting they put the red underwear on him. I actually like the DCEU update of the costume. What I don’t like is the dark colors. Brighten it up. No navy. No maroon. Give me royal blue and cardinal red. Make Superman pop off the screen.
2. Lighten Up – Enough moping already. Can we leave the brooding to Batman…please? Superman should be lighter. I’m not saying silly. I’m just saying less dour.
3. Less Messianic – Superman isn’t the messiah. He’s not sent to save mankind from itself, he’s there to provide an ideal. Superman is supposed to be what mankind strives for. Let him be that for a while and see how it goes.
4. No More Killing – Man of Steel lost me for good when Superman (SPOILER?) snapped Zod’s neck. Never mind the fact that the Kryptonians had spent the last act of the movie destroying Metropolis. That neck snap changed the very fiber of the character and not for the better. Kal-EL doesn’t kill. He just doesn’t. Don’t do it anymore.
And I don’t EVER want to see a scene like THIS again…
5. Supporting Cast – They killed Jimmy Olsen in BvS. They killed Pa Kent in Man of Steel. Superman needs his support network. The humans he loves keep him grounded; they make him human. Stop offing them. They are important to his narrative.
So, when the Man of Steel wakes up from his dirt nap, a few tweaks can go a long way toward fixing the mistakes made with the character so far in the DCEU.
What do you think? Have some other ideas? Sound off, Superman fans!